Join us for our annual spring seminar for public sector clients and friends, when we will address issues facing school districts, municipalities and other governmental agencies.
The program begins with a plenary session covering a timely topic, followed by a choice of two breakout sessions allowing for issue discussion in a small setting.
You're Fired! Reality or Fiction
- They make it look so easy on television, but what does it take these days to terminate an employee?
- Discussion of recent arbitration and court decisions and the hurdles to terminating public sector employees.
- Tips for investigating and preserving evidence of employee misconduct.
- Best practices for navigating the disciplinary process, including a review of due process considerations, the applicability of progressive discipline, and the presentation of your case throughout the grievance procedure and at arbitration so that the separation sticks.
Breakout Sessions (choose two upon registration):
War of Words: The Battle Between Bullying and Free Speech in the Public Sector
- Understanding the scope and limitations of the bullying statute.
- A review of standards and authority governing free speech rights.
- Discussion of instances when these concepts collide in the schools and the workplace and appropriate next steps.
Strategy Session: Preparation and Planning for Achieving Negotiations Gains and Goals
- Our annual collective bargaining update to prepare your organization for contract negotiations.
- Discussion of the Affordable Care Act and its impact on collective bargaining, including an update regarding Labor Board proceedings related to Cadillac tax.
- Review of recent public sector arbitration awards, average salary settlements and insurance trends (including plan changes and premium cost sharing).
- Successful strategies for mediation and interest arbitration when impasse is reached.
Putting the "T" in Transparent: Bringing Transparency to Transgender and Gender Identity Issues
- Discussion of new developments at the state and federal level.
- Consideration of compliance questions relating to work assignments, restrooms, name changes and the like.
- Strategies for the prevention of harassment, discrimination and other claims.
- Best practices and tips to make the transition for the employee, coworkers and/or students easier.
Counselors’ Corner: Hot Topics in Public Sector Labor and Employment Law
- A review of new labor and employment related legislation and regulations.
- Discussion of current issues in the schools and public sector workplace.
- Answers to your questions during this opportunity to "ask the experts."