Health law attorneys Joan W. Feldman and William J. Roberts were speakers at the Health Care Compliance Association's (HCCA) 21st Annual Compliance Institute, the premier education event for the health care compliance community.
With more than 2,500 professionals in attendance, the highly regarded faculty covered topics areas such as Auditing & Monitoring, Privacy & IT Compliance, Internal Audit and Physician Compliance. In addition, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Inspector General Daniel R. Levinson gave the keynote address.
Joan Feldman’s presentation on “Conducting an Internal Compliance Investigation When the Government Claims You Have False Claims” included:
- When and how to conduct an internal investigation: how to get started; who to interview; preserving attorney/client privilege; and working with government attorneys;
- Major pitfalls to avoid during internal investigations;
- How the recent U.S. Supreme Court Decision in Escobar will impact internal investigations, the government and qui tam relators.
Ms. Feldman is Chair of the firm’s Health Law Practice Group and was named by Super Lawyers® as one of the Top 50 Women Lawyers in New England and one of the Top 25 Women Attorneys in Connecticut. She represents health care providers in health care, business, regulatory and administrative law matters. In addition, Ms. Feldman often serves as general and special counsel.
Bill Roberts presented “Managing the Business Associate Relationship: From Onboarding to Breaches,” in which he discussed:
- Business associate onboarding strategies, pitfalls and best practice;
- Ensuring ongoing compliance with HIPAA and other privacy laws by business associates, including monitoring them, auditing rights and handling disputes;
- How an organization can best prepare upfront should a breach occur;
- Special considerations for handling a business associate breach.
Mr. Roberts is a partner in the firm’s Health Law Practice and Chair of its Privacy and Data Protection team. He focuses his practice on health care corporate, regulatory and data privacy matters.